Thursday, January 10, 2008

Our Latest Excitement...

Last night, about quarter to 9, Brian and I were watching "Deal or No Deal" and Nathaniel had just fallen asleep. Suddenly, we heard crashing sounds outside and then squealing tires...not sounds you like to hear when you have 2 cars parked in the street in front of your house. Brian went out...and never came back in. I put Nathaniel in bed and made sure Joshua was still asleep, got a flashlight and my slippers and the garbage (which needed to go out anyway) and went out. Brian was a couple houses up the street talking to some people...and there were quite a few people out on our street for that time of night. Both of our cars had been hit, our neighbor's work truck had been dinged and the neighbor on their other side had had a car hit. And of course, the person who had done this had taken off. The two other guys had taken off in their trucks after them...Brian wanted to follow, but hung around a bit longer and after a police car came barreling by with lights flashing and one of the guys called his wife and told him they'd caught the kids and where they were at, Brian went over too. Turns out that some stupid 17 year old kid was very very drunk and was driving...his 21 year old passenger was also very very drunk. They hit our Explorer (that we're wanting to sell) and cracked the rear left light and made a lovely groove down the side of the car...then, my poor little Sentra...they cracked the rear left light on it, scraped the sides and took off the driver's side mirror. Two house up they smashed in the left rear corner of their vehicle - which they'd been planning on taking to Carmax to sell on Saturday.
I think Brian said that there were 2 local policemen (I think we only have three), 2 Sheriffs and 1 CHP car at the kid's house...they don't live that far from us...and had pulled into their driveway when our neighbors caught up with them and removed the keys from their ignition. The kid is going to be charged with DUI and underaged drinking...hit and run or fleeing the scene of a crime and resisting arrest because both kids took off running when the police got there and tried to get away.

Brian took Joshua out this morning and showed him what had happened. We've told Joshua that drinking alcoholic drinks are bad for your body and not good for you...this kind of took that lesson a little further and Brian explained that it messes with your brain too...the kid wasn't able to drive right and then didn't make a good choice with running away from what he'd done instead of stopping and taking care of things.

I'm just glad that it didn't happen half an hour or so earlier...or that Brian wasn't half an hour or so later coming home from work, because he drove the Explorer and I'm sure they wouldn't even have noticed if they'd hit someone the way they were driving. Here are some pictures I took last night and Brian took this morning.

2 comments:

jojo103 said...

That is quite a bummer! Sorry.
Jo

Melanie said...

I am sooooo sorry!!! TWO of your cars hit?...plus all the rest... what a sad situation. I would be absolutely crushed. I'm sorry.

I tried to log on to your blog yesterday and it didn't come up. I checked the link and it was right. It scared me!! :) For whatever reason that happened, I'm glad you're back!

~melanie