Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Padre Joshua


 Memorial Day afternoon, while I was looking at some patterns I'd pinned on Pinterest for skirts for Grace, I happened to mention to Joshua that I'd found a Jedi Robe pattern on there. I showed it to him and he said, "That would be really good for Wednesday." I asked him what it would be good for on Wednesday, because as far as I knew there were no battles with the Empire and the Dark Side or the Sith or the Clones or whoever scheduled for that day. Then he reminded me that they were doing their California Mission reports that day and they were supposed to dress up, if possible, like a padre  or a Native if they more closely identified (?) with the Indians (I mean, Native Americans). Well, I'm glad he told me this on Monday afternoon instead of Wednesday morning.  We had to go by my parents anyway that afternoon to pick up something or drop off something - I can't remember now. I mentioned to my mom that we were going to go to our storage unit so I could see if I had enough brown felt to make this robe thing. She just happened to have a big beautiful piece of brown fabric that my grandmother had given her. It was perfect. The pattern was simple and I had it finished by the time he got home from school on Tuesday pretty much. I washed it that night. That's when we discovered my mistake. I always wash my fabric before doing any sewing project. But I was in such a hurry to get this made, that I skipped that step. And after washing it, we found that it was a wool blend...and it shrunk. It still fit, but instead of hitting the ground practically (as a true Jedi or padre) robe should, it was just above his ankles. Oh well, not time to worry because he had to go to school. He was about the best dressed padre there. His teacher told him how lucky he was to have a mom that could do something like that for him at such a short notice. I'm grateful that I've got the basic sewing skills to do something like this...or to do what I did last night...rehem and take in Brian's new scrubs that were too long, too "bell bottomey", and too big and too wide. I narrowed the legs, rehemed them. Took up the shoulders and took in the sides of the shirt. Looked pretty good when he headed to class today. Next sewing project...pink dress with white polka dots for Grace...just have to decide what pattern I want to use :)

1 comment:

jojo103 said...

Great story, Beth!! I love how Joshua gave you a couple days' notice.