Tuesday, March 25, 2008

No D&C, but it's over...

Well, the doctor in Sacramento told us last week that they maybe possibly could've gotten me in for a D&C today, but there was no 100% guarantee and it would probably not happen until next week. Well, we were sick and tired of be strung along and waiting for them to decide what to do, since I wasn't considered an emergency. The doctor (who did nothing to win any points with me from telling me that my age was against me (since when is 34 1/2 so old) and I had old eggs, but I could still probably have a good pregnancy later...) seemed to be trying to steer us from a D&C and said that another option (and better, supposedly) was a medical miscarriage. In the end, that is the option we went with because I was not going to go through all this wait and see game for another week or two. For the medical miscarriage, we were given some medication to insert and then it was a wait and see when things would start to naturally miscarry and pass. I was also given a prescription of Vicadin to help with any cramping. I guess that worked because I've had worse cramps before. It only took about 4 hours for things to get going...and luckily we were able to do this Friday night so the boys were sleeping and neither woke up for any reason throughout that long night. We did have to collect the placenta & fetus to take back to the doctor's so they could run labs on it. That was the worst part - especially for Brian because he would not let me see any of it. No parent should ever have to be the one responsible for doing this with their unborn baby. Emotionally, it's been worse on him so far - I'm still kind of numb. Physically, it was easier than a D&C. I was pretty weak on Saturday - even passed out briefly one Brian at one point and really scared him. He figures I lost at least a pint of blood. You'd think they'd have you do something like this at an outpatient facility or something, just in case there were bleeding issues, but no, it's all on your own at home. Thank goodness all went well. I'd told Joshua the night before that I was going to take some medicine that night that was going to make me kind of sick on Saturday so he'd have to help Daddy. He was great about it and about lunchtime decided he needed to be in with Mommy for awhile, so after lunch he came and laid on the bed with me and we read some books and stuff. Nathaniel was so thrilled to have Daddy all day, that he didn't even seem to notice I wasn't around as much. Thank goodness for the women at church - several different women brought us dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. It was such a great help. I'm starting to get back to normal - physically. Still have to wear maternity clothes which is hard every morning when I get dressed. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be feeling much better.
Later on today or tomorrow, I'll post some pictures from Easter. The boys enjoyed hunting for eggs and all that.

No comments: