Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pears...



A few weeks ago, Mom and Dad bought some pears from the stake's pear orchard up by Medford. None of us were able to go and pick...Dad was in the hospital, Mom worked, Brian was either in Davis working or at school up here and I had the boys. But luckily and thankfully, some people from the ward went up and picked and brought some down for us. We got 160 pounds of pears. And they all got ripe this past weekend! So between Saturday and Sunday Mom and I canned 31 quarts (and 4 quarts of peaches that someone had give us that we couldn't eat all of fresh). Then on Monday I canned another 21 quarts. My first time canning solo...Mom did peel and slice the first batch, but I finished them off and then did two more batches on my own. It takes me a lot longer to peel and cut than Mom does! Today we kept the Hurlbut/Lee Cannery closed, but we'll reopen tomorrow and hopefully maybe get them finished. Probably at least another 21 quarts to go. This weekend we'll have to do more green beans...and before we know it it will be time to pick the apples off the tree in the front yard (it produces a TON every other year and this is one of those years!)


Today, I went to Yreka with Dad for his last doctor appointment. Last week Brian took him one day and Nathaniel and I took him three other days for getting his foot cleaned and wrapped at the wound center...today he was able to drive himself, but I went along because I needed to get fingerprinted at the County Office of Education so that I can subsitute teach. That's all taken care of, all my money is paid ($55 to the county and $55 to the state - sheesh!) and they said that I could probably start subbing as early as next week if I want to. Well, I don't want to...the beginning of October will be soon enough, thank you very much. I am going to stop in at the school district office here in the valley on Friday and see what else I need to do besides get proof of my negative TB test from this past spring.

No comments: