Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Chased by an Elephant?

About half an hour ago, I was picking up the HUGE mess Nathaniel made on the floor of the boys' bedroom this afternoon. He was playing while Brian did math homework in the dining room while Joshua & I were at school (I got to be Joshua's teacher today while his actual teacher had jury duty...but that's another story). Anyway, while I was picking up, Joshua was up on his bed leafing through his Book of Mormon. He was less than thrilled to see that the entire book had 469 pages (I believe that's what he said...I'm not sure if he's counting the Index as well or what). He briefly thought about staying up all night to read it, but it didn't take much to convince him that it would take much longer than one night to read the entire book. So he was murmuring to himself about how long it would take to read as I continued to pick up the hundreds of books Nathaniel has dumped on the floor (he's always looking at books and constantly begging some one to "read me, please!"). Finally he asked me what I thought he'd get from his Primary teacher if he read the entire book. I told him I didn't think he'd get anything from his teacher, but he would gain a testimony. Well, that wasn't what he wanted to hear. After a brief discussion about what a testimony was and why that was important, he told me (as I continued to pick up the thousands of books Nathaniel had strewn about the room) that he thought he'd get something because one kid who'd memorized all 13 of the Articles of Faith got a Star Wars coloring book. That led into a discussion on if he'd been able to pass off his 2nd Article of Faith that he'd memorized a few weeks ago. He had...that's when he told me that the 13th Article of Faith was funny. That surprised me and I asked him how was it funny. Very seriously he replied, "Well, it says that we'll be CHASED BY AN ELEPHANT!" I managed to not burst in to laughter and first, asked him who he'd heard say that. He said no one had told him that, that's just what it said. Then I calmly explained to him that what the 13th Article of Faith actually says is that we need to be "CHASTE AND BENEVOLENT." To which he replied, "Oh, well, that's not what it sounds like!" Yep, that's my boy! He may be reading at an almost 3rd grade level, but his hearing & listening is right on par for 1st grade!

2 comments:

Here at home said...

I'm glad you recorded this. How funny. I will never say the 13th article of faith again without thinking of being chased by and elephant.

alison said...

Now, that is funny. So glad you shared! And watch out for those elephants!!