Saturday, September 4, 2010

Generation Gap?

This MormonAd (from the New Era, the LDS Church's youth magazine) hangs in the dining room under the phone hook up (eons ago when I was a kid a phone actually hung there - I think it was rotary). I guess Carrie hung these up when she was in Young Women's. Anyway, the other day, Nathaniel asked me what that was. I explained to him it was a phone...he thought that was funny because he's never seen a phone that looked like this one. Then I read what was underneath - "With Prayer you'll never get a busy signal." I opened my mouth to tell him that, and realized he didn't know what a busy signal was - he doesn't make many phone calls at four. So I told him it was about praying to Heavenly Father and that you can pray and He'll always hear you. He was fine with that...he just had wanted to know what the funny thing in the picture was. Later, I was thinking about it and realized that Joshua, at 8, and still not making many phone calls, probably didn't really know what a busy signal was...you rarely get a busy signal anymore with call waiting and voice mail and everything. I told Brian, "Our kids aren't even going to know what a busy signal is!" I thought it was kind of funny. So today, when I was thinking about this and checked out the New Era website where they have all the MormonAds since the beginning (early 1980s...I remember most of the ones from the 80s and early 90s), I found this one:


It's the version for the new millenium...says with prayer you have unlimited minutes, no roaming charges, no busy signal and you can use it anywhere.
I guess phones may change, but prayer never goes out of style :)

1 comment:

Annessa said...

That is so funny! I remember that first poster. Great post.