I know, this is a few weeks late, but we ushered in the new year with a "new addition". Brian's kidney stone finally decided it was time to come out. Late on the night of Jan. 2nd, I took him to the ER again (this is the third time he's gone to the ER with this, the 2nd time I've had to take him...the first time he was already at a hospital doing his rotation for class).
We got to the ER a little after midnight and got home around 630 the morning of the
3rd. Luckily, Grandma kept on the boys to get them ready for school because I wasn't really functioning (Brian slept after they gave him some good drugs while they decided what they were doing with him...I didn't, but I did read the first Gregor the Underlander book that Joshua has been dying for me to read for months). Grace didn't want to nap, so I still didn't get any sleep.
Brian woke up around 10 that morning and called the urologist in Redding that he'd been referred to and they said they could see him at 1. Brian stumbled in to the shower, I made arrangements for Grandpa (luckily he had an extra day off work for the holidays) to pick up Nathaniel at preschool, Joshua to get a ride home from Cub Scouts after school, and threw stuff together in the diaper bag for Grace. I was supposed to drive since Brian had been given some strong meds, but only made it as far as Weed (1 hour) before I was falling asleep since I hadn't slept the night before (man, was I glad I'd grabbed a pseudo-nap Sunday afternoon...at least I'd rested some).
We found the doctor's office right at 1 pm. Being as Brian started the new semester the following Monday, we were hoping they could do his surgery that week. They were able to schedule him in for Thursday the 6th - as the doctor told him, the stone was going no further on it's own (it was almost 8 mm). So we did preop bloodwork etc. on Monday. He was in pain for a good part of the week - not helpful when you're trying to get a ton of stuff ready for the next semester - and finally Thursday came. Joshua stayed home because he had school, but Nathaniel got to come with us this time - preschool is easier to miss than third grade is. Plus, Nathaniel and Grace had check-ups on their ears in Yreka that morning.
Once we were done there (and both got good reports on the ear infections being gone!) we headed to Redding. We dropped Daddy off at the out patient surgery building and then we went to Turtle Bay. Of course I forgot my camera, but had my phone and one of these days I'll email myself the few pictures I took with that and maybe post them.
We got to the ER a little after midnight and got home around 630 the morning of the
3rd. Luckily, Grandma kept on the boys to get them ready for school because I wasn't really functioning (Brian slept after they gave him some good drugs while they decided what they were doing with him...I didn't, but I did read the first Gregor the Underlander book that Joshua has been dying for me to read for months). Grace didn't want to nap, so I still didn't get any sleep.
Brian woke up around 10 that morning and called the urologist in Redding that he'd been referred to and they said they could see him at 1. Brian stumbled in to the shower, I made arrangements for Grandpa (luckily he had an extra day off work for the holidays) to pick up Nathaniel at preschool, Joshua to get a ride home from Cub Scouts after school, and threw stuff together in the diaper bag for Grace. I was supposed to drive since Brian had been given some strong meds, but only made it as far as Weed (1 hour) before I was falling asleep since I hadn't slept the night before (man, was I glad I'd grabbed a pseudo-nap Sunday afternoon...at least I'd rested some).
We found the doctor's office right at 1 pm. Being as Brian started the new semester the following Monday, we were hoping they could do his surgery that week. They were able to schedule him in for Thursday the 6th - as the doctor told him, the stone was going no further on it's own (it was almost 8 mm). So we did preop bloodwork etc. on Monday. He was in pain for a good part of the week - not helpful when you're trying to get a ton of stuff ready for the next semester - and finally Thursday came. Joshua stayed home because he had school, but Nathaniel got to come with us this time - preschool is easier to miss than third grade is. Plus, Nathaniel and Grace had check-ups on their ears in Yreka that morning.
Once we were done there (and both got good reports on the ear infections being gone!) we headed to Redding. We dropped Daddy off at the out patient surgery building and then we went to Turtle Bay. Of course I forgot my camera, but had my phone and one of these days I'll email myself the few pictures I took with that and maybe post them.
Brian came through just fine. We spent the night in Redding because we were all exhausted.
And that pretty much sums up our first week of 2011...I really really hope it's not a sign for how the year will go.
And here are pictures of the kids I took on New Year's Day...






2 comments:
The kids are darling! I'm so sorry to hear all the medical issues you guys have had. Here's hoping you've used up your quota for the year!
Awesome first sentence!
Post a Comment