Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuesday Again...

Joshua has enjoyed his first week of school. His favorite part of the school day - RECESS, of course! Why does that not surprise me! And it only took him 4 days to figure that out. He complains though that he doesn't have enough time to play at the recess during schooltime...because he takes so long to eat his snack. It's not like I'm sending him with a whole meal...apples slices, baby carrots or Teddy Grahams...but he's such a slow eater! I told his teacher that yesterday...and that he eats slowly at home, too. Maybe recess will motivate him to take more than one bite per minute.




On Saturday we went to the Yolo County Fair. Last year, when I was 9 months pregnant and melting in the heat, I took a bunch of pictures. This year, for some reason, I didn't take very many. Well, one reason was that I took Nathaniel and we went and looked at the buildings with all the fair entries (next year I'll get stuff entered. Yolo County Fair's enteries are pathetic (the amount) compared to the Siskiyou County Fair when I was growing up) while Brian and Joshua did the rides. Theresa let us use a VIP pass that they had, so Joshua could go on whatever he wanted and not worry about running out of tickets. That was so nice...we thanked her very much for that. At the Kid drawing for Toys, Nathaniel's number got drawn for a battery-operated monster truck. He was thrilled. Joshua's number didn't get pulled for anything...but he was okay with it...last year he won a TV and a baseball & bat. I didn't get any pictures of Nathaniel at all at the fair...oh well. There's always next year.



Two weeks ago I interviewed for a job through the local Friends of the Library...it was for a Family Reading Program Coordinator. They were looking for someone with experience with children, bilingual and computer savvy. I figured as a computer literate, bilingual former teacher I might have a shot at it. It seemed like the perfect job - about 10 hours a week, $25 an hour and the hours were pretty flexible. They're wanting to use a grant that they got to generate more outreach programs for the Hispanic community here. I've been researching different programs that incorporate that and coming up with ideas....just in case. Yeah, well, I got TWO rejections in one day. I asked Brian how fun is that - getting rejected twice in the same day for one job. My day started with a phone call informing me that I hadn't gotten the job...and then in the mail this afternoon there was a nice typewritten letter thanking me for my interest my strong interview and qualifications, but they'd gone with someone else. Being as I hadn't heard anything in two weeks, I'd kind of figured I hadn't gotten the job, but I still had a little hope. I guess I'd been holding out with more than a little hope, because when I got the phone call I was pretty upset. I don't know who they did hire...I only know of one person that interviewed - but I think they interviewed 7 in all. Oh well, hopefully I can get some kids to tutor this year. I haven't done that for a couple of years...haven't advertised or anything like that either for a few years. I'll work at getting an ad in the paper for next week and see if I can have any luck there.

Here are a couple of pictures of Nathaniel in the yard last week - he's so funny. He loves the camera (just like his big brother did at this age) and it is sometimes hard to take a picture of him since he walks right at the camera!
















1 comment:

Morningside Blogger said...

The picture of Nathanial (up close) is so awesome. He has such beautiful eyes. Watch out mom!