Friday, July 17, 2009

Swimming Lessons...

Joshua finished his swimming lesson session yesterday...for which I am very glad. It's getting hot and there is no shade at the end of the pool where his lessons are so we sit in the very bright very hot sun watching. Nathaniel runs up and down the little hill that goes around the pool (when I was a kid and went swimming there and took lessons there...and even when I was in high school, there was a fence right around the concrete that goes around the pool, but not any more) and gets sweaty and tired. Luckily, Brian was able to take him to some lessons during the 2 weeks.



Joshua did wonderfully, considering that I skipped him a level. I thought he'd done levels 2&3 last year in Winters, but he'd done 1 & 2...I'd signed him up for level 4. But he did well and learned the back stroke, improved his crawl A LOT (he actually turns his head to the side some of the time instead of lifting it straight up and doggy paddling) and learned the breast stroke. The highlight was jumping from the lifeguards perch...I wanted to take a picture of him doing it yesterday, but the teacher asked me to spot the kids jumping. Which was oh so fun trying to hang on to Nathaniel so that he didn't jump in too. I told the kid that taught that class that he'd just better not expect me to jump in for any reason. So I didn't get a picture of him doing that, but I got a couple of others.


Nathaniel's highlight yesterday was a getting to touch a swallow-tailed butterfly. It was flying low over the pool and where we were sitting and he was chasing it (luckily not into the water since we were sitting at the deep end). It landed right by our bench and I told him he could carefully touch it. It was missing half of it's swallow-tail and some wing, which is why it was flying so erratically. He was so thrilled to touch it...simple pleasures!

1 comment:

jojo103 said...

I think you should have jumped in! It would have felt great.