
Joshua was so excited a few weeks ago because the kindergarten was going to go on a field trip to a nearby farm. Sadly, on the scheduled day, it was raining so the trip was cancelled. I wasn't sure if Joshua was more disappointed because the trip was cancelled or because he didn't get to ride on the school bus. They finally were able to reschedule the trip - for Halloween. Nathaniel and I went to. We followed the bus out to the farm (actually owned and ran by one of the kinder teachers and her husband) and got to see how walnuts were harvested and shelled and sorted and boxed up to send to stores. It was pretty neat. I'd seen the "shaker"



before...a big clamp like thing that is part of a tractor that grabs the trunk of the tree and shakes the walnuts out. Then we saw how they swept them into rows and then how another machine came and sucked them up to take them back to dump them in a big grate

thing that sent them through

a sheller.
The kids got to help out by putting on gloves and sorting the nuts - removing all the black pieces and any bits of shell, etc. Joshua and his friend Diego had fun doing that!


They also got to listen to a story about earthworms and learned how earthworms help the trees and plants grow. Then they got to dig for worms in the garden and yard.

And Joshua's favorite parts? The school bus ride (his first) and playing on the little playground in the back yard. That's my boy :)

Nathaniel also enjoyed the trip with the big kids. He spent most of the time in his stroller - except on the hay ride around the walnut orchard. But it was so cold and foggy that his little hands and nose got really cold.

I hadn't thought to bring gloves or mittens for him. This was only our second day of fog and I guess I'm just not ready to have it back so I wasn't prepared. The day before it had burned off pretty early...but not this day. It was after noon before we saw the blue sky!
After we were done at the farm we headed to Davis to meet Daddy for lunch and trick-or-treating in Downtown Davis...but that's another story.
1 comment:
It's been a while since I've had the chance to read anyone's blog. It looks like Joshua had a great field trip. What fun. Good times. (I hope you are feeling better!!!)
Post a Comment