I cannot believe that it is the second of July already. June just flew by! (well, so did May as well!) I cannot believe how fast time is going, it's crazy! So this will be a quick (kind of) update of June. I'll have to try a bit harder to remember back to May :)
First week of June Nathaniel and I had a stomach bug...not fun. Pretty much but an end to our mostly successful beginnings of potty training for him. We're just now getting back to success. I really really want him potty trained totally by September...I just don't feel like 2 in diapers (mainly the expense!) I think we'll be fine with it...once he gets back to telling us he needs to go!

Second week of June was Joshua's last week of school. Every day was a minimum day for the most part...with all kinds of fun activities. This was also a week of thunderstorms and showers. The main cloudburst held off until Wednesday of that week...which would've been fine, except that was the day that we decided to condense our 2 storage units into one...and had probably close to 100 boxes out in the open when the rain started. The first few sprinkles weren't bad...aww, it's cooling us off and it's not enough to hurt anything...then the sprinkles turned to pouring and yeah, well, let's just say it wasn't fun. Luckily the boys were in the car watching a movie at the time, so they didn't get soaked. In the evening Mom and Dad came down and helped and Mom took the boys home for dinner and baths while Dad, Brian and I finished getting stuff put back. I couldn't walk that night - after I stretched out on the bed for awhile, when I tried to get up, my legs wouldn't work. That wasn't fun! Things did get better after awhile and I spent the next 3 mornings reboxing my 30+ boxes of books. Only lost a couple of books (one I was able to replace right away and others that we didn't want/need anyway). Joshua found all kinds of new books to read...and so did I. There are still a few boxes of dishes that need reboxed, but they'd dried out pretty well and I'll get to them eventually. Joshua was promoted to 2nd grade (like there was any doubt...well, in his mind, but in no one elses) and is looking forward to that, but is also ready for a summer of fun.
The third week of June was our "vacation." We went with Brian down to Woodland/Davis when he went to work. The plan had been for the first day going into Sacramento for Brian's doctor appointment and then we'd go do something fun with the boys. Thursday we'd run over to Winters, take care of some business and have lunch with some friends. Friday was run errands day and the boys swim. Saturday was maybe run back over to Winters and then come home. Well, this was reality...got to Brian's doctor appointment just fine. Went and had dinner after that. Then took the boys to Scandia where they miniature golfed for the first time, did bumper boats and played some arcade games (Joshua is still talking about miniature golf and he and Nathaniel play it almost daily in the backyard). 


Around 9 pm. we climbed in the car and started to leave, ready to head to Woodland to Brian's brother's where we were staying. We were hardly out of the parking lot when the lights started to dim on the dashboard and the car started to move quite sluggishly. As we turned on to the main road, the car totally died. Brian was able to push it backwards into a Jack in the Box parking lot where someone offered to jump it for us. That seemed to work...so we pulled back out on the road and got on the freeway...where it began to die...somehow (thanks to a lot of prayers, mainly from the backseat) we were able to safely get off at the next exit (for those familiar with Sacramento, we got off the exit after the Madison one where Scandia is...so that would be the Watt exit) where we were able to get to a parking lot of a check cashing place. Joshua's prayers are seriously what got us there we believe...the car was totally losing power and he'd pipe up from the back, "Heavenly Father, please help our car." and it'd get a boost of power and we'd go a little further. He did this three times and we were just able to get to this parking lot...Brian called AAA (we'd just upgraded the week before to 100 mile towing service as opposed to the 5 mile we used to have...we didn't even have our new cards yet) and they said a tow truck would be there in half an hour. They offered to send police to wait with us if we didn't feel safe...he declined. After we hung up we thought maybe we should've said yes as we saw an obvious hooker picked up by 4 guys and also we saw a drug deal through a fence. It wasn't exactly the best spot in Sacramento to be stranded in! The tow truck did come...loaded the car on and we headed to Woodland. The boys thought it was kind of fun...Thumpy (what we've decided to call the baby for now since we're not sure if it's a boy or girl) and I didn't particularly care for it. Two months from now it wouldn't have been bad, but I really didn't want to give birth at 27 weeks! We got to Woodland and it was close to midnight before I got the boys in bed. The car was finally fixed Friday afternoon...thanks to one of Brian's niece's friends who is a mechanic. We had to replace the altenator and a fuse (he'd worked on the car the weekend before when Brian had been down working because it had been acting up - needed new spark plugs). We never made it to Winters to visit friends which disappointed Joshua and I the most, I think. 
The boys did get to do plenty of swimming and we got all our "city" errands ran Saturday morning before picking up Brian from work and coming home. It was nice to visit...but so strange to be visiting the area where you'd lived for so long. It was a different strange for me then it had been when we'd come up here to visit in the past.





Around 9 pm. we climbed in the car and started to leave, ready to head to Woodland to Brian's brother's where we were staying. We were hardly out of the parking lot when the lights started to dim on the dashboard and the car started to move quite sluggishly. As we turned on to the main road, the car totally died. Brian was able to push it backwards into a Jack in the Box parking lot where someone offered to jump it for us. That seemed to work...so we pulled back out on the road and got on the freeway...where it began to die...somehow (thanks to a lot of prayers, mainly from the backseat) we were able to safely get off at the next exit (for those familiar with Sacramento, we got off the exit after the Madison one where Scandia is...so that would be the Watt exit) where we were able to get to a parking lot of a check cashing place. Joshua's prayers are seriously what got us there we believe...the car was totally losing power and he'd pipe up from the back, "Heavenly Father, please help our car." and it'd get a boost of power and we'd go a little further. He did this three times and we were just able to get to this parking lot...Brian called AAA (we'd just upgraded the week before to 100 mile towing service as opposed to the 5 mile we used to have...we didn't even have our new cards yet) and they said a tow truck would be there in half an hour. They offered to send police to wait with us if we didn't feel safe...he declined. After we hung up we thought maybe we should've said yes as we saw an obvious hooker picked up by 4 guys and also we saw a drug deal through a fence. It wasn't exactly the best spot in Sacramento to be stranded in! The tow truck did come...loaded the car on and we headed to Woodland. The boys thought it was kind of fun...Thumpy (what we've decided to call the baby for now since we're not sure if it's a boy or girl) and I didn't particularly care for it. Two months from now it wouldn't have been bad, but I really didn't want to give birth at 27 weeks! We got to Woodland and it was close to midnight before I got the boys in bed. The car was finally fixed Friday afternoon...thanks to one of Brian's niece's friends who is a mechanic. We had to replace the altenator and a fuse (he'd worked on the car the weekend before when Brian had been down working because it had been acting up - needed new spark plugs). We never made it to Winters to visit friends which disappointed Joshua and I the most, I think. 
The boys did get to do plenty of swimming and we got all our "city" errands ran Saturday morning before picking up Brian from work and coming home. It was nice to visit...but so strange to be visiting the area where you'd lived for so long. It was a different strange for me then it had been when we'd come up here to visit in the past.The 4th week of June was pretty uneventful...and I planned it to be that way. We did some summer school, crafts and went to the library. Also, the boys and I went down to Grandma Darlene's for a few hours on Friday and visited and played. I took some new pictures of the boys that turned out pretty well...they just make them look too old!!


The last few days of the month did pick up though...Monday I had a doctor appointment - baby is growing fine, my blood pressure was actually fine, but I "failed" my one hour glucose test and had to do the 3 hour one yesterday...should get the results today. Had to do the same thing with Nathaniel and it was fine. Tuesday we had to go back to Yreka to have our eyes examined (Joshua and I)...while there found out that thanks to all the wonderful budget cuts in our fine state of California, that if I hadn't have gone on June 30th, I'd have been out of luck for my eye exam and new glasses to be covered by Medi-Cal...Joshua would've been fine because the service is only be cut for those over 21. So in a couple of weeks, we'll be getting a call to go get new glasses for both of us. Joshua was thrilled to find out that he does need glasses - mainly for distance, not for reading. He came out of the exam room saying that he dreams have come true! The doctor says he's never seen any kid so excited about getting glasses. The ones he picked he picked because they are comfortable and they kind of look like Harry Potter's glasses.
So that's our month...both boys are growing like weeds, I'm at 29 1/2 weeks with the baby and am doing fine, Brian is feeling somewhat better, being weaned of his prednisone and has had 2 different internal images taken so his doctor can decided what to do with his Crohn's at his next appointment on the 8th...if it's different meds or surgery. Here's to hoping July is a little calmer!
2 comments:
hey,I was wondering where you were. Sounds like a busy month. Yes, June did fly by, didn't it. I can't believe you're already so far along. That's great. I'm glad you and the baby are doing well. Your boys are cute. Good luck with the potty training.
Yeah, Watt Avenue is scarey unless you're closer to hwy50. We had a flat tire there once. Good thing you upgraded your AAA our 12mile tow in May cost us $107 (i believe). That was the week I was at camp wasn't it? I would have said you could have called Dave to come wait with you guys but he wouldnt' have had a car. *hugs* sounds like you guys are doing good, and are we allowed to call #3 Thumpy as a nickname when they're born?
Post a Comment