Friday, June 6, 2008

M&M Math

They might not melt in your hands, but they sure do melt on your face!!








One of the activities in the "summer
school" lesson that we did this week was some M&M Math. There's a cute little worksheet to sort your M&M's on (I colored them the other day while the boys did the Play-doh Planets) and then a graph to graph your colors on.
Joshua has done a very similar activity in school, so this was old hat to him. I did have him do some addition & subtraction problems with it which I don't think they did in kinder.





Nathaniel, of course, couldn't quite graph his totals...and he also didn't get a full bag of M&Ms. But he did sort them by color. And he did a very good job of it too. I think it helped that on Wednesday, we sorted the end of the Legos from the huge drawer they were in into their compartments in the Lego table Brian had built for Christmas. I explained to Nathaniel what we were doing, and he caught on right away and had no problems sorting the Legos...until he got tired of doing it :) Anyway, with the M&Ms he only struggled a bit with brown - I think because brown wasn't one of the Lego colors that he'd dealt with the day before. He did pretty well for only be 21 months old! He only snuck a couple of M&Ms before we were finished and I told him he could eat them all up...then he gobbled them quickly!
















Tomorrow I'll post what we did today for our wrap up lesson. Next week we're doing Moses & the Ten Commandments/Honoring & Obeying the Law. I printed that one out today since I hadn't earlier and should've been getting stuff ready for it while Brian & I watched a movie tonight instead of crocheting. Oh well, there's always tomorrow night.

Tonight, Joshua got to go swimming at the City Pool. It was their first Family Free Night (or is it Family Fun Night...I can't remember) of the summer. I guess they're doing this the first Friday of every month for the 3 months of summer. Anyway, Brian was home a little earlier than usual tonight, so the two of them went over to the pool for an hour or so. Nathaniel was devestated that he didn't get to go...especially when he saw swim trunks & beach towels. But he's had a runny nose the past couple of days and I have a sore throat and earaches, so we stayed home. Maybe next month we'll all get to go...though the 1st Friday of July is the 4th, so I don't know if they'll do a free thing then or not...we'll have to wait and see.

Well, need to get this posted and get to bed....stayed up too late last night watching National Treasure 2. And of course, the boys were both up at 6 this morning...though that was good in one way...Nathaniel, who's skipped his nap the past two days, fell asleep in my lap while we played a computer game at 10 this morning and slept for an hour. And then he was asleep and in bed by a little after 8...yay! Tomorrow is busy...clean up day at the church (Brian's going...maybe Joshua...Nathaniel would be more of a hinderance than a help, so we'll be home doing clean up here). Then Michelle (Brian's niece) is graduating from high school and we have a BBQ to go to for her around noon...then a birthday party for Nathaniel's friend Cole at 4. Plus a couple of errands somewhere in there (Walmart and Costco for milk...thank goodness Woodland has a Costco now so we can do everything in one town).

No comments: